Most people prefer to adopt puppies instead of senior dogs. However adopting senior dogs has its advantages just as well.
1. They cost less – due to the fact that senior dogs are rarely adopted most animal shelters charge symbolic fees for their adoption.
2. They require less care – puppies have to be trained while senior dogs have already formed their habits. This means that the dog can take care of itself and that you won’t have to invest time into its training.
3. They provide companionship – senior dogs are very loyal to their owners. Even more according to various studies senior dogs understand the loneliness of their masters and strive to make them happier by providing them with selfless friendship.
4. They help you deal with the fear of letting go – most people are afraid to adopt a senior dog because they know that after a short while the dog will pass away. The thing that these people don’t realize is that senior dogs can still give a lot of memories to their owners. Even more by adopting senior dogs people learn to deal with lost more easily.
5. They walk slowly – young dogs tend to run around like crazy and make the daily walks a total nightmare at times. On the other hand senior dogs walk slow and steady. This allows you to enjoy a nice walk in the park with your pet.
6. They create less mess – dogs can create quite a mess especially when they are young. On the other hand senior dogs pass the most part of their days lying on the carpet and napping. This means that the only feature of your home which gets dirty is the carpet. You can easily clean your carpet by using rug cleaning machines. You can get quality rug cleaning machines form any hardware store in your area.